The Lamb Society was organized in 1920 as an organization for high school boys. Each year this society was composed of boys who were interested in conditions which would help to keep up the standard of morals on the campus and the high ideals for which the school stands. The majority of the boys having graduated training school and continued to college, and decided on March 15, 1925 to discontinue their organization as a training school society and unite in forming a new secret society to be known as the Aztecs. Twelve members made up the charter roll of this new fraternity. They were: Robert L. Taylor, Robert Clark, Wendell Collums, Grant Collar, William Huddleston, Howard Perrin, Louis Moles, Marvin Crittenden, Jeff Shemwell, Doyle Patton, Lester Adair, and Evan Douglas.
The organization prospered from the beginning and soon became a recognized power in student affairs. In 1927, the college allowed fraternities to assume Greek letter names. The name Aztec was dropped for the name Phi Lambda Chi, in 1930. Under the new name, the fraternity continued to grow. The college faculty, in 1934, voted to allow the fraternities on campus to nationalize. However, it was five years later that Phi Lambda Chi would nationalize. The group preferred to continue under its own name and with its old organization which had over 300 alumni. Upon deciding to expand, the group received encouragement from faculty and many alumni.
On January 19, 1939 , Phi Lambda Chi voted to nationalize and elected a provisional Grand Council with Troy Jones, Faculty Advisor, as provisional National President. This provisional National Council authorized to grant charters to new chapters and to set up a provisional constitution. It was authorized to govern the national fraternity until such time as there might be three chapters in existence when it was to call a national convention.
The provisional National Council was instructed to develop the fraternity as a national fraternity along lines that would qualify it for admission into the Association of Teachers College Fraternities. This council voted to charter to the local Phi Lambda Chi to become the Alpha Chapter of the national fraternity and at once began to make contacts with groups at other colleges. The fraternity established a national magazine and named it "The Aztec" in honor of the local organization from which it was derived.
The first conclave was held March 15–16, 1940 , at the Arkansas State Teachers College (now the University of Central Arkansas), the home of the Alpha Chapter. At this meeting the pouring of the national foundation was completed with the setting up of permanent constitutional and administrative machinery.
Alpha- University of Central Arkansas
Beta- Northeastern State University
Gamma- University of Arkansas- Monticello
Delta- Southeast Louisina University
Epsilon- Henderson State University
Zeta-Pittsburg State University
Eta- University of Central Oklahoma
Theta- University of Arkansas- Little Rock
Iota-Northwest Missouri State University
Kappa- Northwest Oklahoma State University
Lambda- Truman State University
Mu- Arkansas Tech University
Nu- Southern Arkansas University
Xi- Lincoln University(Missouri)
Sigma- University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma
Chi- Cameron University
The Alpha Chapter of Phi Lambda Chi was founded on the UCA campus and enjoyed a long seventy years of existence. In 1995, the Alphas were found guilty of violations of major university policies and their charter was revoked. In 2005, Anthony James of Texarkana, TX,(A.K.A "The Godfather") with the support and backing of the other chapters and alumni, began the long and tedious process of re-instating the Alpha chapter at UCA. March 15, 2008 the Alpha Chapter of Phi Lambda Chi was officially re-chartered. All active members were present at the convention, in which they all signed the official charter paper. They now continue to grow on campus every year.